The Chromebook: A 30 second summary

I have a Samsung Chromebook, have been using it for a couple of weeks now. Lots of negativity out there about this, the classic being that you could have a netbook for the same money. That's so wrong. A netbook is the past, Chromebooks are the future. If you don't get that, it means you're living in the past. Personally I like to live in the future.

What makes the Chromebook the future is that it's always there when I need it, instantly. It's the smartphone equivalent of the laptop. No waiting for boot times, no security patches, no software downloads, no virus updates. Think how you use your smartphone, that's how a Chromebook works, only much bigger and with a proper keyboard.

No it doesn't have all the software applications you're used to, but I've always been able to do what I need to on the Chromebook. The web is stuffed to bursting point with just about every app you can imagine - and it's only just getting started.

Yes you need to use the cloud, and most people don't, but why people who don't use the cloud try to review one of these things truly escapes me. I keep my music in the cloud, my documents, my photos, my email, my contacts, my videos, my photos ... well, you get the picture. And wherever I am everything I need is always there. Files on a hard drive are, quite frankly, a pain. The more you use the cloud, the more you realise that.

I have lots of computers in my life, every form factor you can imagine from the behemoth Windows desktop to Google TV, but the devices that I'm using less and less are the laptops and tablets. The Chromebook is so much better for the kind of tasks I want to do. That's why it's the future.

Comments

Popular Posts